Thursday, July 30, 2009

first day of first grade

first day of kindergarten, first day of first grade
i'm sitting here aghast at how much my little miss has grown. her long tresses are gone, taking the little girl hair ribbons with them. permanent teeth are replacing the babies from last year and those floral mary jane's are now sitting in her little sister's shoe pile. the dress she wore on her first day of kindergarten wouldn't even cover her bum bum today. despite how much miss mia has changed, that nervous first-day-of-school smile has remained undoubtedly the same.

i marvel at what a crowded classroom and overextended teacher were able to instill in her last year. i'm eager to see what a smaller first grade class can accomplish. mia's new teacher is equipped with the sugar of kinder and the classroom management of middle school. it was easier leaving her this time. knowing her teacher and many of her classmates really helped.
custom hairclip made to match her cute new kicks.

in the morning, the first graders form lines on their room numbers in the large playgound behind the school, like all the other big kids. mrs. crossley guided her line of parents and fresh faced students to her classroom where we would say our goodbyes. i held tight to mia's hand while we walked, feeling embarrassed when i realized that the only one this was comforting was me. mia had no qualms about waving us off.

big bug, we're so proud of you!

6 comments:

chelsea said...

I'm so proud of you and the way you handled it! And you too Mia. I can't believe it! I'm sadden how fast they grow. Hope she had a good one.

Tiffanie said...

I can't believe how much she has grown since last year. So weird! I hope her first day was wonderful. :)

Tiffanie said...

PS. Adorable hair clip! :)

lindsey said...

She is adorable, and this was one great post.

How is school starting already?? Year round program???

Karen said...

She really has grown! WOW! I hope the 1st day was great. I know we have talked about this but...1st grade...it just seems so... BIG!

Love the hair bow and shoes!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG , your daughter is so cute. School starts for us soon . What days are you going to be at laverne? i love your blog

Stephanie Soltero
Friend from LaVerne