Wednesday, May 27, 2009

an accepted offering

we spent mothers day making the long journey home from utah. this upset mia because she'd planned on making me breakfast in bed- soup was on the menu. i assured her that we could do it another time. the time never came. each time she'd request to cook the soup, i'd have a new reason why she couldn't.

pan to late afternoon when miss mia had been in a world of trouble. she came to my room carrying a sloshing blue bowl with eyes full of freshly welled tears. she made a sincere apology for her transgressions. then head hanging low handed me the soup- 'i made you your soup mommy (sob), i hope you like it (sniff).'

i picked up the spoon and ate from her offering. i had no idea what it was, the white stuff floating on the top was particularly worrisome, but i ate gratefully. grateful for a daughter with such heart.

(come to find out the ingredients were as follows- bottled water, raspberry vinaigrette, grated parmesan, bbq sauce, and honey.)

2 comments:

Tiffanie said...

Mia is such a dichotomy. Such a little devil sometimes, and then the sweetest most sensitive girl in the world at other times. I just love her.

Amy Jones said...

Ummm...Tiff said "dichotomy". While I basically understand what it means I just don't use it in normal speech. I always knew you gals were too dang smart for me.

I'm impressed you ate some. I understand why you did (she's an awfully cute girl) I have to admit that mentioning the floating white parts made me throw up a little in my mouth.